February 17, 2014

Fiction Writing Blog Assignment #3 - Inspirational Quotes

I know it's super early, but here is my blog post for this week. We have to post an inspirational quote about writing for our classmates, but I chose three. Anyway, here they are.

For my fellow sci-fi and fantasy writers in class, I want to post this quote:

“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” ― Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing

I also, would like to post the following quote, because I feel that too many people are writing to be meaningful, deep, or seemingly intellectual and not to write a good and entertaining story. Personally, I want people to enjoy my stories. I want people to read my stories and not want them to end. With that said, I think this quote is important:

“A good writer is basically a story teller, not a scholar or a redeemer of mankind.” ― Issac B. Singer

I found this while looking for a writing quote that I felt strongly about and thought that it was humorous enough to post. There have been plenty of times that I've heard classmates say things like, "That professor doesn't know what he/she's talking about." So, I think it represents how most pompous writing students feel about their professors instead of making the best of their classes/teachings.

“Yeah, I know what your English Professor tried to tell you. But if your English Professor could make a living writing fiction, they would have been doing it.” ― Dean Wesley Smith

Funny thing about this author, I've never heard about him before finding this quote and, upon looking him up, found that he's known mostly for his Star Trek novels, as well as film novelizations. Well, that's all I have. Enjoy guys!

1 comment: